NEWS & UPDATES
COTSWOLD AIRPORT IS NOW ONLY OPEN TO THE PUBLIC 5 DAYS A WEEK
OPENING TIMES 08:00 to 17:00
AV8 IS CLOSED ON SUNDAYS & MONDAYS
**IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING XM496**
‘Regulus’ XM496 IS OPEN ON ALTERNATE SATURDAYS. PLEASE SEE ‘OPEN DAYS’ ON THIS WEB SITE FOR DATES, TIMES AND ANY CHANGES. OUTSIDE THESE HOURS, VISITORS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO VIEW THE AIRCRAFT EXTERNALLY BUT PLEASE ENSURE YOU REMAIN SAFE AT ALL TIMES, MIND YOUR HEADS IN PARTICULAR, AND AS AN EXTRA PRECAUTION …PLEASE KEEP CHILDREN UNDER CONTROL.
NL14 PUBLISHED. The latest issue of ‘Friends of the Britannia’ is now available and has been sent out to all members. This issue is also available in .PDF format to any member who would prefer to have their copy in digital format. Please email the Membership Secretary, Jim Brown or the Editor, Duncan Swift, for your free copy. The front cover of NL14 depicts a ‘Christmassy’ rendition of a photograph of XM496 on finals to RAF Lyneham on 10th March 1970 kindly provided by Adrian Balch (Photair Press). Newsletter articles, include amongst others; the second part of Mike James’s ‘RCAF to RAF‘; ‘Memories of an RAF Fireman‘ from Rodney Webb; ‘A Special Day for an RAF Veteran‘, a celebration of Neil Bullock’s 100th Birthday. An interesting read is promised for all. New members are very welcome to join the Bristol Britannia XM496 Preservation Society for the modest sum of £10 per annum. In addition to receiving two copies of the Newsletter each year, they will also receive a welcome pack with the unique Members’ DVD, which includes the spectacular arrival of the aeroplane at Cotswold Airport in 1997, plus a logo pen. Most important of all, you will have the personal pleasure of supporting a very worthwhile cause that is saving a unique piece of British heritage for posterity …and from the ‘breaker’s torch’! If you would like to join this devoted band of like minded aviation enthusiasts please refer to the Application Form under the heading ‘MEMBERSHIP OR DONATIONS’
1. WORKING MEMBERS. Following a successful appeal on BBC Points West regional news programme, a total of 14 new engineering members have been added to the original workforce of 4, establishing a highly skilled and willing work force that will see ‘Regulus’ survive well into the future.
2. PROJECTS. Amongst many other projects some major changes have taken place:
(i) The entrance steps completely refurbished in the colour scheme of NATO Green as used in the 60s/70s with evocative ROYAL AIR FORCE KEMBLE in RAF Golden Yellow emblazoned on the sides.
(ii) The rear bulkhead has been re-positioned back to the original location together with a newly installed toilet/washroom cubicle. The plan is to add a hand basin, taps and toilet seat (for show and non-usable), all courtesy of CEO Mark Gregory at Air Salvage International.
(iii) The exterior of the front entrance door is now protected from the elements with a canopy fitted to the top of the stairs which prevents the ingress of rain as a result of the marked curvature of the fuselage.
(iv) A P12 compass has been sourced and fitted on the flight deck. At this juncture the Society can now say the ‘sharp end’ is as original as we can make it. Let’s hope that our lady visitors won’t attempt to use the mirror to fix their make-up!
(v) The upgrade of the electrics is permitting us to add further services on the system. One obvious visual addition is the occulting red anti-collision belly light which informs visitors we are open for viewing.
(Click on an image above to view in large format)
3. DONATIONS. In response to a number of requests for the facility to make donations to XM496 from the website, a minor modification to the ‘Form’ has been made under the Title Heading MEMBERSHIP OR DONATIONS. Please follow the instruction to differentiate your requirement and may we thank you most sincerely for your kindness. Any monies donated are used entirely for the upkeep of the aircraft.
4. Artist LANCE COLE (A profile of the artist will be added to the ARTWORKS column)
Available on board XM496
1.‘Regulus Rising’ available as professional quality print suitable for framing (18″ x 12.5″/45cm x 32cm approx overall dimensions)
‘Regulus Rising’ – XM496 heads home from the tropics – Print suggested donation £25
1.‘Regulus Rising’ professional quality landscape greetings card – blank for own text (8″ x 6″/21cm x 15cm)
‘Regulus Rising’ – Card suggested donation £1.50
2.‘Speedbird 400’ available as professional quality print for framing (16.5″ x 11.75″/42cm x 30cm approx overall dimensions)
‘Speedbird 400’ – Final landing of G-CIVB at Cotswold 08/10/2020 – Print suggested donation £20
Any donations are solely used for the preservation of XM496 ‘Regulus’
(Click on an image above to view in large format – please note printed images do not display a copyright logo)
5. A BOOK RECOMMENDATION – Pick Up A Pencil The Work of Laurence Fish is a superb book by Jean Bray for the lovers of Poster Art. Jean was the wife of Laurence Fish who was born in 1909 and became a very skilled illustrator particularly of technical subjects in the age of monochrome photography and was much in demand by advertisers and magazines to depict subject matter in full colour for their posters and the front pages of the popular periodicals. His subject matter ranged from highly technical industrial subjects to the more frivilous beach resort ‘pin-up’ posters advertising the virtues of resorts such as Southsea, Herne Bay and Exmouth and frequently found adorning the walls of railway stations. Laurence’s works were very popular and bought by lovers of this art-form for their own personal displays and in later years these works commanded high prices on the art market. At one time Laurence worked exclusively for the Bristol Aeroplane Company and a number of his illustrations featuring the Britannia are included in this volume. As colour photography eventually became the preferred media of the advertiser, Laurence showed his skill as an aesthetic, creative and imaginitive artist. This 144 page, quality print, hard back, is profusely illustrated mostly in vivid colour, is a delight to behold and will grace the top of any coffee table. In 2021 Jean featured in a video about Lawrence which was filmed on-board ‘XM496’ and is due for release sometime in the future.
PICK UP A PENCIL The Work of LAURENCE FISH is available on Amazon Books Price £28.50 incl P&P
also available at Waterstones and other good book sellers
(Click on an image to view in large format)