The Royal Air Force Britannia Fleet

The Society is trying to list all aircraft in the R.A.F. Britannia Fleet. Listed below are details of the aircraft we have traced.

 

XN392 'ACRUX'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
G-APPE / XN392
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 252 / C mark 2
Constructors No. 13450 - Production No. 001
Built at Belfast - First flight 13/10/58 ; C of A: 10.11.58


Built to contract 11804 for the Ministry of Supply, dated February 1955. Officially on Ministry of Supply charge from 9 November 1958 and delivered via Filton on 12 November 1958. G-APPE carried spare parts for G-ANBC to Rangoon in record time on 13 March 1959, operating in civil markings. Royal Air Force Transport Command colours were applied in late March 1959, serialled XN392 she was named 'Acrux'. Evaluated by A&AEE Boscombe Down until 24 May 1959, she was damaged by salt spray at Belfast, causing her return to Filton for repairs to underside of fuselage and wings. Delivered to RAFTC No.99 Squadron at RAF Lyneham on 27 October 1959 she was operated within Nos. 99 and 511 Squadrons' Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 29 March 1961.

Withdrawn from service and stored at Baginton, Coventry from December 1975, XN392 had flown 12 652 hours and made 10 380 landings whilst in service with the RAF by the end of December 1975. Purchased by Aer Turas Teorante on 18 December 1975 she was broken up and scrapped during April and May 1976 after operation by City Airways fell through.

g-appe Britannia

XN398 'ALTAIR'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet. G-APPF / XN398
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 252 / C mark 2
Constructors No. 13451 - Production No. 002
Built at Belfast - First flight 07/12/58 – C of A: 14.01.59


Built to contract 11804 for the Ministry of Supply, dated February 1955. Registered G-APPF. Later painted in Royal Air Force Transport Command colours and serialled XN398, she was named 'Altair'. Officially handed over on 19 March 1959 to No. 99 Squadron RAF. Used within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 17 May 1961. Withdrawn from RAF service and ferried to RAF St Athan on 25 April 1975 for storage and eventual re-sale. Purchased by Euroworld and flown to Stansted Airport on 11 September 1975 for overhaul by Aviation Traders Engineering limited. Purchased in February 1977 by Zaire Aero Service, and registered 9Q-CPX she was operated by Domaine de Katale in November 1977 before being returned to Zaire Aero Service.

Again to Domaine de Katale and finally back to Katale Aero Transport before being withdrawn from service and stored. Whilst owned by Katale Aero Transport, the VIP area was retained at the rear of the aircraft and used by Katale's owner Herbert Van Orerburg. At the end of March 1981, 9Q-CPX had flown 14 211.31 hours and made 10 482 landings. Now No longer in service, January 1991, and later scrapped, in Goma, Zaire.

xn 398 Britannia

XL635 'BELLATRIX'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13397 - Production No. 001
Built at Belfast - First flight 29/12/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829. Suffering from corrosion of the underside and wings caused by salt spray whilst at Queens Island, Belfast, XL635 was not delivered until a protective covering was developed to seal the damaged skinning.
She was retained at Belfast until January 1960, although spending some time at A & AEE Boscombe Down for pre-service trials.
Finally delivered to Royal Air Force Transport Command No. 99 Squadron on 30 January 1960, she was named 'Bellatrix' and operated with the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 22 December 1960. In January 1970 the two Britannia squadrons were transferred to RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, and all the Royal Air Force's Britannia aircraft were operated from there, within 99 and 511 Squadrons.

She was withdrawn from service and ferried to RAF St Athan for storage and re-sale on 9 June 1975. Purchased by Young Cargo on 5 September 1975, XL635 was flown to Stansted Airport and registered OO-YCA on 11th September 1975. She was painted in full livery and flown to Gosselies, Belgium in October 1975, returning to Stansted in 1977. Withdrawn from use, her engines used for spares, 00-YCA was finally broken up and scrapped in July 1977 after a career of 20,268.20 flying hours and 6859 landings.

 

Britannia Aircraft

XL636 'ARGO'
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13398 - Production No. 002
Built at Belfast - First flight 23/04/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829 and delivered to Royal Air Force Transport Command on 4 June 1959, allocated to No. 99 Squadron, serialled XL636 she was named 'Argo'. She operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 2 November 1960 and was withdrawn from service and flown to RAF Kemble for storage on 22 December 1975. Registered OO-YCE from 23 February 1976, she was purchased by Young Air Cargo on 6 May 1976 and flown to Stansted Airport the same day.

On 13 May 1976 OO-YCE was flown to Brussels and after short service with Young Cargo, OO-YCE was withdrawn from use and stored at Ostend, Belgium in December 1977 with 17 958 flying hours and 7918 landings to her credit. Broken up and scrapped at Ostend, Belgium during August 1978.

 

xl 636 Britannia

XL637 'VEGA'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13399 - Production No. 003
Built at Belfast - First flight 12/05/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829, and delivered to Royal Air Force Transport Command on 26 June 1959, she was serialled XL637 and named 'Vega'. She was taken on charge by No. 99 Squadron from 28 June 1959 and operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 9 September 1960. Once withdrawn from RAF service, XL637 was flown to RAF Kemble for storage on 30 December 1975. By the end of December 1975, she had flown 18 673.45 hours and made 8243 landings. She was purchased by Captain J de Bry on 8 March 1976, and on 7 May 1976 XL637 was re-positioned at Southend for conversion to a variant 253F for civilian use by Aviation Traders Limited for operation by Young Air Cargo.

Purchased by Young Air Cargo and operated as OO-YCH until leased to Liberia World Airways in August 1977 she was allocated the registration EL-LWH. OO-YCH was returned to Young Air Cargo in September 1977 and flown to Manston, Kent. Withdrawn from service on 2 December 1978. Purchased by Domaine de Katale on 27 April 1979, she was registered 9Q-CKG and flown to Ostend, Belgium. After flying to Goma, Kivu in Zaire, 9Q-CKG was re-registered 9Q-CBT and stored. Reportedly withdrawn from use and broken up which was confirmed in early 1992.

xl637 Britannia

XL638 'SIRIUS'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13400 - Production No. 004
Built at Belfast - First flight 22/06/59 - C of A: Not known


Ordered by the Royal Air Force in November 1955 and built to contract 12829, this aircraft was delivered to 99 squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command on 5 August 1959 and once taken on charge on 7 August was serialled XL638, named 'Sirius', designated a C mk l. Following the pooling of 99 and 511 Squadrons Britannia fleet at RAF Lyneham, Wiltshire, XL638 was operated within the pool from 30 June 1960. XL638 disgraced herself on 12 October 1967 when she overran the runway whilst landing at RAF Khormaksar, Aden. Unfortunately she was damaged beyond repair and written off. Thankfully no lives were lost and the Bristol Britannia in RAF service kept her unblemished record... apart from this little episode! Because of her close proximity to the runway following her accident, it was decided to remove the tail section by an extreme measure 'it was blown off! XL638 had flown 9371.30 hours and made 3700 landings.

xl638 bristol Britannia

XL639 'ATRIA'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
XL639
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13448 - Production No. 005
Built at Belfast - First flight 28/08/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829, her maiden flight was from Belfast on 28 August 1959 and she was delivered to No.99 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command on 8 October 1959. Serial led XL639 she was named 'Atria'. During her service and like all other RAF Britannia's, XL639 wore the titles Royal Air Force Transport Command, Royal Air Force Air Support Command and finally Royal Air Force, on the upper part of her fuselage. She operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 12 October 1960. Withdrawn from service on 23 October 1974 she was stored at RAF Kemble. After purchase by the Guinness Peat Aviation Company on 10 February 1976, her RAF markings were painted out. She was withdrawn from service after a few months at Stansted Airport, Essex in May 1976. The Irish registration EI-BDC was applied at Stansted Airport. EI-BDC never saw active service for Guinness Peat and was sold to Airline Engineering of Luton on 10 February 1977.

She was leased by Aer Turas and operated without titles from 18 June 1977. Sub-leased to Cyprus Airways on 19 June 1977 returning to Aer Turas on 5 July 1977, and back to Airline Engineering in September 1977. Cyprus Airways leased EI-BDC from 17 September 1977 returning her to Airline Engineering on 8 October 1977. She went back to Cyprus Airways in October 1977 returning on 7 November 1977. Purchased by Eurafric on 20 January 1978 she was operated by them until purchased by Redcoat Air Cargo on 4 June 1978. Painted in full livery and registered G-BRAC, she was named 'Christian'. Working with G-AOVS these two Britannias were seen regularly in the BBC Television series 'Buccaneer'. During the series the livery remained the same except for a title change to 'Redair'. At the end of June 1978, G-BRAC had made a total of 7617 landings and flew 19 016.08 hours.

On a return flight from Boston to Shannon on 16 February 1980, G-BRAC was lost on take-off in severe icing conditions, near Billerica, Mass, tragically killing six of the seven people on board.

XL639 Britannia

XL640 'ANTARES'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13449 - Production No. 006
Built at Belfast - First flight 18/10/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829 her first flight was from Belfast on 8 October 1959 and delivered to No. 511 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command on 30 October 1959.
Serialled XL640 and named 'Antares', this aircraft, along with all twenty series 253 Britannias was designated a C.mk l whilst in RAF service. She operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 16 January 1961.
Withdrawn from service she was stored at RAF Kemble from 3 September 1975 with 17359 hours and 7669 landings to her credit by the end of September 1975. She was purchased by Monarch Airlines of Luton on 13 January 1976 and stored at Coventry.
She was later ferried to Luton Airport in September 1976 after purchase by Aer Turas fell through. Painted in the markings of Eurafric carrying a Rhino on the tail logo, she was known by the chaps at Airline Engineering as 'Rhino One'. Never operated by Eurafric, she exited the paintshop on 2 March 1977 registered EI-BCI for Aer Turas on 4 April 1977 and was leased by them from 31 March 1978. She returned to Eurafric on 10 April 1978.

She was leased again by Aer Turas, from 25 May 1978 until 6 September 1978 when she returned once again to Eurafric. After a long spell at Luton Airport, Redcoat Air Cargo leased EI-BCI, repainted her in their livery (not very different from Eurafric's), registered G-BHAU and called her 'Amy'. She was accepted by them on 13 August 1979. In service with Redcoat Air Cargo Ltd by the end of March 1981 G-BHAU's flying hours had increased to 20 563.05 and her landings 8469. Purchased by Swordvale Aviation Limited on 2 December 1981 she was operated by Redcoat between Forli, Italy and Nigeria carrying cattle. Purchased by Katale Aero Transport in April 1982 and registered 9Q-CHU she was later withdrawn from service and stored at Kinshasa, Zaire and broken up for scrap in 1986.

G-BHAU Britannia

XL657 'RIGEL'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13454 - Production No. 007 Built at Belfast
First flight 23/1/.59 C of A: Not known


Ordered by the Royal Air Force in December 1956, and built to contract 12829 this aircraft was delivered to No. 511 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command, serialled XL657 named and 'Rigel'.
Delivery to the Royal Air Force took place on 23 December 1959, she was transferred to the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham, Wiltshire on 24 February 1961 and was operated by both 99 and 511 Squadrons Royal Air Force.
Following the disbandment of the Britannia fleets due to government cut backs, XL657 was withdrawn from service on 13 August 1975 and flown to RAF St Athan for storage.
The total of her flying hours with the RAF was 18 781, and XL657 had carried out 8437 landings. Purchased by Monarch Airlines of Luton on 31 December 1975 she was flown to their base at Luton Airport and following an overhaul and minor repaint, was then flown on to Kigali Airport, Rwanda on 10 March 1976 following purchase by Center Air Afrique.
The registration 9U-BAD was allocated on 5 March. Barely a year later 9U-BAD was impounded for the non payment of overdue debts and withdrawn from service at Charleroi, Belgium on 25 February 1977. 9U-BAD was later broken up and scrapped.

657 Britannia

XL658 'ADHARA'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13455 - Production No. 008
Built at Belfast - First flight 03/12/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829, and delivered to RAF Transport Command on 4 February 1960. She was allocated to No. 511 Squadron, serialled XL658, and named 'Adhara'.
She was used within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham.
Withdrawn from use by the RAF, XL658 was stored at RAF Kemble in January 1975 until purchased by Airline Engineering of Luton on 26 May 1976. Registered EI-BBY on 18 June 1976 and delivered to the Intercontinental Meat Company, in the markings of Interconair at Hurn Airport, on 10 August 1976, named 'Deirdre'. Her career was short lived.
Whilst approaching Shannon Airport on 30 September 1977, en-route to collect livestock, EI-BBY crash-landed and caught fire. Everyone aboard escaped without injury and a month later in October 1977, EI-BBY was broken up and scrapped following a career which totalled 20 205.49 flying hours and 8547 landings.

658 Britannia

XL659 'POLARIS'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mk 1
Constructors No. 13456 - Production No. 009
Built at Belfast - First flight 01/02/60 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829, she was delivered to No. 511 Squadron RAF Transport Command on 4 March 1960, and named 'Polaris', serialled XL659.
Operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham, between 99 and 511 Squadrons, later at RAF Brize Norton until withdrawn from service and ferried to RAF St Athan on 14 May 1975.
A total of 19 051.40 hours were flown and 8054 landings made during her service with the RAF.
Purchased by Young Air Cargo, XL659 was flown to Stansted Airport on 5 September 1975, and registered 00-YCB two weeks later. In the colours of Young Cargo wearing a revised red cheatline with all RAF insignia removed, she first appeared outside the hanger on 12 January 1976. March 1976 saw OO-YCB wearing 'In Co-operation with Liberia World Airlines' stickers. Flown to Ostend, Belgium in late August 1976, OO-YCB was used as a source of spares for Young's fleet of Britannias. OO-YCB was scrapped at Ostend, in December 1977 following a career of 19 600.49 hours and 8245 landings in total.

659 Britannia

 

XL660 'ALPHARD'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13457 - Production No. 010
Built at Belfast - First flight 04/03/60 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 12829, for six aircraft, later increased to ten. She was delivered to No. 511 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command on 23 April 1960, serialled XL660 named 'Alphard'. She transferred to No.99 Squadron on 1 May 1960 and pooled in September of the same year at RAF Lyneham. Withdrawn from RAF service in January 1976, XL660 was stored at RAF Kemble with 19 158.15 hours and 8495 landings to her credit until purchased by Air Faisal on 14 May 1976 and previously flown to Luton Airport on 11 May 1976. (It is of interest to note that this aircraft carried the titles 'Air Faisel' but then it was changed to 'Air Faisal' - could this have been a spelling mistake or a change of name?). Painted in the markings of Transgulf Air Cargo during May 1976 but never flown in these markings. The markings were removed on 6 February 1977. Registered G-BEMZ on 11 February 1977 for U.M. Patel, who were trading as Air Faisal, and named 'Al Medina', joining XM490 (G-BDLZ) on flights between Bombay and Dubai, after delivery to Baghdad in late February. G-BEMZ was impounded by H.M. Customs and Excise in August 1979.

With an expired Certificate of Airworthiness she was sold by H. M. Customs and Excise to T. F. Richter and Company Ltd, on 13 September 1979, trading as Gaylan Air Cargo. She was financed by Black Arrow Leasing Ltd on 14 February 1980 and leased to Gaylan Air Cargo on 4 September 1980 registered A6-HMS, and re-registered G-BEMZ on 3 April 1980. At the end of March 1981, this aircraft had flown 21 480.37 hours and made 9058 landings. Redcoat Air Cargo leased G-BEMZ and operated her on behalf of Dantana from 22 September 1981 for the Forli and Kano cattle flights until she was purchased by Swordvale Aviation Limited on 2 December 1981. Sold to Katale Aero Transport in November 1982, she was registered 9Q-CGP and named 'Mandefu'. After being withdrawn from use she was reportedly broken up. Confirmed in early 1992.

XL660

XM489 'DENEBOLA'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13434 - Production No. 011
Built at Belfast - First flight 07/04/60 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 14293 and ordered by the Royal Air Force, this aircraft was delivered to Royal Air Force Transport Command, allocated to No. 511 Squadron, serialled as XM489 named 'Denebola'.
Delivery took place on 4 May 1960 at RAF Lyneham. Like the other Britannia aircraft within RAF service this one operated out of the Britannia Pool at RAF Lyneham from September 1960.
Following XM489's withdrawal from service in September 1975, she was ferried to RAF Kemble where she remained in open storage until sold to the Belgian firm, Young Air Cargo on 10 February 1976.
During service with the RAF she had flown 19 243 hours and carried out 8316 landings by the end of September 1975. This aircraft had a very short civilian life. After being allocated the registration OO-YCC, and re-positioned to the Belgian company's base at Gosselies, OO-YCC was not operated by Young Air Cargo, instead used primarily as a source of spares for their other airworthy Britannia aircraft. OO-YCC was finally broken up for scrap during 1978.

xm489 Britannia

XM490 'ALDERBARAN'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13435 - Production No. 012
Built at Belfast - First flight 16/05/60 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 14293 and delivered to Royal Air Force Transport Command at RAF Lyneham on 8 June 1960, allocated to No. 511 Squadron, she was serialled XM490 and named 'Alderbaran'. This aircraft was transferred to the Britannia pool on 7 November 1960. Withdrawn from RAF service in August 1975, XM490 was ferried to RAF St Athan on 13 August 1975 for storage with a total of 18 673 hours and 8637 landings to her credit. Purchased by Euroworld on 29 October 1975, she was flown to Luton Airport the next day before flying on to Stansted Airport the following day. Allocated the registration G-BDLZ when purchased on 17 November 1975 by U.M. Patel and M.I. Raj G-BDLZ was operated in their company name of Air Faisal.
The livery was applied 'around the old' RAF livery and she was named 'Al Mubarak'. She was operated together with G-BEMZ (ex-XL660) between Bombay and Dubai. Leased to Air Works, India in December 1976, G-BDLZ was returned to Air Faisal in early September, 1977. Both of Air Faisal's Britannias were immobilized due in early August 1978 and by the end of August 1978, G-BDLZ had flown a total of 22 306.48 hours and carried out 9437 landings. G-BDLZ was withdrawn from use at Luton in May 1979 and broken up during September 1979.

xm490 britannia

XM491 'PROCYON'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13436 - Production No. 013
Built at Belfast - First flight 16/06/60 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 14293 and delivered to No. 511 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command on 6 July 1960, she was named 'Procyon' and serialled XM491. She operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 15 May 1961. XM491 was withdrawn from service by the RAF and was ferried to RAF St Athan on 9 June 1975 for storage following a flying career of 18 077.30 hours and 7717 landings. Purchased on 8 September 1975 by Aer Turas of Ireland and delivered to Luton Airport, she was given the registration EI-BBH, and named 'City of Cork'. She entered service with Aer Turas on 28 October 1975. EI-BBH was leased by Cyprus Airways on 9 September 1976 and returned on 12 April 1978; by the end of that month, she had accumulated a total of 22 330.04 hours and 9038 landings.
Leased by Gemini Air Transport from 23 March 1979 until 23 May 1979 when she was returned to Aer Turas. EI-BBH was purchased by Katale Aero Transport from November 1981 and registered 9Q-CMO in the name of Transair Cargo (a subsidery of Katale). No longer in service and possibly broken up which was confirmed in early 2003.

xm491

XM496 'REGULUS'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13508 - Production No. 014
Built at Belfast - First flight 24/08/60 - C of A: 20.05.76


Built as part of contract 15527, and delivered to the Royal Air Force Transport Command at RAF Lyneham on 17 September 1960, serialled XM496 and named 'Regulus'. She was taken on RAFTC charge from 19 September 1960 and used within the Britannia pool from her acceptance. XM496 was withdrawn from RAF use on 27 October 1975 and stored at RAF Kemble with 18 413.45 hours and 8122 landings to her credit.
XM496 was purchased by Monarch Airline's Airline Engineering on 6 January 1976. Converted at Luton by Airline Engineering to 253F configuration and registered G-BDUP on 31 March 1976, and two weeks later she was painted in the livery of Afrek Ltd, who purchased her on 21 May 1976 and was delivered to them in Athens on 6 June 1976 with a private C of A. Later withdrawn from use and stored in Athens, Greece.
Purchased by Monarch Aircraft Engineering Ltd on 30 July 1984 and ferried to Luton for overhaul, then sold to the Cuban Airline, AeroCaribbean, in August 1984. She was painted in their full livery, and registered CU-T120. CU-T120 operated her last flight on 21 March 1990 (thereby ending all Cuban Britannia operations). While flying between Peru and Havana, No. 4 engine was shut down, an emergency declared, and a landing at Guayaquil, Ecuador made. The following day a three-engined ferry was organised and on arrival at Havana, Cuba she was grounded due to lack of spares.
This aircraft was to become the 'Phoenix' of the Britannia fleet as she was to become the last airworthy Britannia. Following sale to Transair Cargo the aircraft was flown via the UK as 9Q-CJH 'Jack' and operated with trans Service Airlift ltd. Reregistered as EL-WXA to Transair Cargo in August 1997. Flown to the ex RAF airfield of Kemble and placed into the care of dedicated Bristol Britannia enthusiasts, the aircraft has since been repainted in RAF Transport Command livery and is being fully preserved as a non flying example.

XM496 rEGULUS

XM497 'SCHEDAR'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13509 - Production No. 015
Built at Belfast - First flight 17/11/60 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 15527, this aircraft was delivered to RAF Transport Command on 2 December 1960 at the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham, and operated jointly by 99 and 511 Squadrons.
Serialled XM497 she was named 'Schedar'. The last Britannia to be built at Belfast, XM497 was also the 'last' Britannia built, excluding the Canadian derivatives.
Once withdrawn from RAF service, XM497 was flown to RAF Kemble on 9 December 1975 for storage following a flying career of 18 177.30 hours and 7215 landings. Purchased by Young Air Cargo on 23 April 1976, and registered OO-YCF on 5 May 1976. She was transferred to Stansted Airport, Essex on 7 May 1977. Following the removal of the RAF insignia, the titles Young Cargo were applied above the cabin windows and the cheatline was repainted red, minus the flash by the nose section, but on the tail fin the number 497 and fin insignia remained. Remaining at Stansted, '497', (OO-YCF was not applied) was used for spares, and broken up in July 1977. The remains were used by the Airport Fire Brigade at the BAA Fire School, until totally burnt out in May 1981.

xm497 Aircraft

XM498 'HADAR'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13510 - Production No. 001
Built at Filton - First flight 30/09/59 - C of A: Not known


Built as part of contract 15527, she was delivered to No.99 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command at RAF Lyneham on 19 October 1959. Serialled XM498 and named 'Hadar', she was operated within 99 and 511 Squadrons' pool from 7 July 1961. Withdrawn from use by the Royal Air Force on 30 December 1975 and stored at RAF Kemble with a total of 18 205.45 hours and 7980 landings in RAF service. Flown to Stansted Airport in early April 1976 she was repainted in the colours of Young Air Cargo and registered OO-YCG, before being delivered to Brussels the second week of May 1976. OO-YCG flew back to Stansted Airport, and was repainted in the livery of Liberian World Airlines for lease, and was registered EL-LWG on 11 July 1976.
Withdrawn from use OO-YCG was stored at Manston, Kent in September 1978. Purchased for and painted in the livery of Domaine de Katale, she wore the titles Katale Aero Transport, and left Manston for Zaire on 8 May 1979 and was re-registered 9Q-CDT in July 1980. Withdrawn from use 9Q-CDT was stored at Kinshasa, Zaire and sold to Business Cash Flow Aviation as a source of spares for 9Q-CHY July 1988. Confirmed scrapped in early 1992.

XM498

XM517 'AVOIR'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13511 - Production No. 002
Built at Filton - First flight 24/11/59 ; C of A: Not known


Built to contract number 15527, and wheeled out of the production hanger on 20 November 1959. Delivered to No. 511 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command where she was accepted on 2 December 1959, serialled XM517 and named 'Avoir'.
During XM517's service she carried the livery of the Royal Air Force Transport Command, Royal Air Force Air Support Command and finally Royal Air Force. She operated within the Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 20 February 1961. XM517 was repainted by Marshall's of Cambridge during October and November 1972 and flown to RAF St Athan in April 1975 after the disbanding of 99 and 511 Squadrons. By the end of August 1975, she had flown 18 897.35 hours and landed 8962 times.
Sold to Monarch Airlines, she was reregistered 9Q-CAJ and marked in the titles of AMAZ (Agence et Messageries Aeriennes du Zaire), and delivered to this company in August 1976 in Brussels.
Returned to Luton she was registered G-BEPX for Airline Engineering Limited who purchased her on 14 April 1977. August 1977 saw the removal of the wings from out-board of the inner nacelles, and the rear fuselage. The title 'Rolls Royce Proteus Test' was applied and the remainder was used as a Proteus ground running test rig. In this form she was actually 'taxied' which according to one of the test crew 'felt really weird'. G-BEPX was finally scrapped at Luton Airport during April 1980 with a total of 19 203.50 hours and 9066 landings to her credit.

Britannia

XM518 'SPICA'
The Royal Air ForceBristol 175 Britannia Fleet. SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13512 - Production No. 003
Built at Filton - First flight 18/12/59 - C of A: Not known


Built to contract 15527, and wheeled out of the production hangar on 17 December 1959 she was allocated to No. 511 Squadron, RAF Transport Command. Delivery took place on 30 December 1959. XM518 was named 'Spica', and operated with 99 and 511 Squadrons Britannia pool at RAF Lyneham from 23 November 1960.
Withdrawn from service by the RAF on 24 November 1975 with a total of 19 641.25 flying hours to her credit and 8114 landings, she was ferried to RAF Kemble for storage and eventual re-sale.
Registered OO-YCD on 23 February 1976 she was purchased by the Belgian cargo airline Young Cargo on 4 March 1976 and ferried to their base at Gosselies, Belgium the next day. OO-YCD was then used as a source of spares for Young Cargo's other Britannias. OO-YCD was broken up at Gosselies, Belgium during 1978.

Bristol Britannia

XM519 'CAPELLA'
The Royal Air ForceBristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13513 - Production No. 004
Built at Filton - First flight 18.01.60 – C of A: 02.07.76


Built as part of contract 15527, and wheeled out of the production hangar on 25 January 1960, she was allocated to No. 511 Squadron on 8 February 1960 named 'Capella'. XM519 went to 99 and 511 Squadrons pool on 28 November 1960 at RAF Lyneham.
Withdrawn from use by the RAF this aircraft was repainted by Marshall's of Cambridge and stored at RAF Kemble from November 1975 with 18 815.45 hours and 8637 landings logged. Sold to Airline Engineering of Luton on 13 February 1976 and registered G-BDUR on 31 March 1976 and Afrek took delivery on 2 July 1976.
Withdrawn from use and stored at Athens, Greece prior to being purchased by Monarch Aircraft Engineering Ltd once more, on 30 July 1984 and ferried to Luton for overhaul. Purchased by the Cuban Airline, Aero Caribbean, in August 1984, she was re-registered CU-T121. This aircraft was initially in open storage at Havana, Cuba and due to the lack of spares was no longer operated, finally being broken up.

Bristol Britannia

XM520 'ARCTURAS'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet.
SERIES 250 - VARIANT 253 / C mark 1
Constructors No. 13514 - Production No. 005 Built at Filton - First flight 09.03.60 - C of A: Not known


XM520 was the last Britannia to be built at Filton, and the seventh aircraft of contract 15527. Wheeled out of the production hangar on 8 January 1960 and delivered to No. 511 Squadron Royal Air Force Transport Command on 19 March 1960 she was named 'Arcturas'.
XM520 joined 99 and 511 Squadrons' Britannia pool on 22 March 1961 at RAF Lyneham. Withdrawn from use by the RAF, XM520 was stored at RAF St Athan, awaiting sale or lease from 14 May 1975. At the end of her RAF service she had 18 790.15 hours and 8446 landings logged.
XM-520 was sold to Gemini Air Transport on 16 September 1975. The title Geminair was worn along with the new registration 9G-ACE, retaining most of the RAF colour scheme. Redcoat Air Cargo Ltd operated 9G-ACE for one year from May 1976 on a dry lease and management contract until 6 May 1977. At the end of March 1981 9G-ACE had logged 25 646.37 hours and 9866 landings.
She was registered 9Q-CUM, when purchased by Lukum Air Services in September 1981. Withdrawn from service and stored at Kinshasa, Zaire, she was sold to Katale Aero Transport for spares and broken up at Kinshasa in July 1986.

XM520

XX367 'TEAM SPIRIT'
The Royal Air Force Bristol 175 Britannia Fleet. SERIES 310 - VARIANT 312
Constructors No. 13421 - Production No. 048
Built at Filton - First flight 29/04/58 - C of A: 13.05.58


Ordered by BOAC she was flown to Marshall's of Cambridge for fitting out on 13 May 1958 and delivered to BOAC at London (Heathrow) Airport on 10 June 1958. G-AOVM went into service on 26 June 1958 as BA 581/130. On 27 February 1963 while at Richmond, G-AOVM was taxiing onto the apron after landing when she rolled on to soft ground approximately 15 feet from the hard standing. G-AOVM operating as BA RCH 3374 was delayed for six hours while waiting for equipment to tow her out. The last service that G-AOVM operated for BOAC was on 26 March 1964 on a flight from Salisbury to London as BA 922/086.
British Eagle International Airlines leased this aircraft on a five year hire-purchase agreement and she was delivered on 29 March 1964. Later named 'Team Spirit', she was purchased by British Eagle and converted to a 312F at Speke, Liverpool in December 1967. G-AOVM operated British Eagle's last flight on 7 November 1968 whilst positioning following the demise of British Eagle International Airlines. G-AOVM was purchased by Air Spain on 6 March 1969 and re-registered EC-BSY, wearing full livery from 1 December 1969. Use by the Australian airline Southern Cross International did not take place and although the livery was applied, it was removed prior to leaving the hangar.

Withdrawn from service and sold to the Ministry of Defence in November 1971 and operated in the markings of Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE Boscombe Down) retained the name 'Team Spirit', serialled XX367. Received at Boscombe Down on 3 May 1972. By the end of March 1981 this aircraft had flown 33 100.10 hours and landed 10 203 times. XX367 celebrated her 25th Anniversary when she flew back into Filton on 29 April 1983 under the command of Flight Lt. David Berry and Sqdn Ldr Ken Newman. The flight engineer was Alan Kidson. All were members on the Air Transport Flight 'B 'Sqdn. Also on board was Sqdn Ldr Clive Osborne.

Withdrawn from service by the MOD, XX367 was ferried to Cranfield under the Command of Squadron Leader David Berry for storage until delivery to Katale Aero Transport registered as 9Q-CHY in March 1984, named 'Hubert'. Purchased by Business Cash Flow Aviation and retained the name 'Team Spirit'. Following a revision of BCF's livery, 9Q-CHY was repainted to match their Boeing 707 and a new name was applied to her nose section - 'Mwenye Mikebwe', the grandmother of Dr Mayani. At the end of January 1991, it was reported that 9Q-CHY was still in operation, following a heavy check 2 'Zairean style' overhaul, which possibly included the fitting of a new freight floor. This was the one and only Britannia aircraft still operating in 1991. Now broken up at Kinshasa.

xx367 Bristol Britannia